Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Tipping can be an absolute headache.

Tipping can be an absolute headache. 
When I was very young in England in the 1940’s one discreetly left a threepenny bit beneath the saucer when one was in a café.

I remember going to a cinema in France in the 1950’s and having been shown my seat by an usherette settled in to watch the film. A few minutes later I noticed this usherette still standing by me jingling coins in her purse. It took another 2 or 3 minutes before it occurred to me she was waiting for a tip.

Now, with age and experience I rarely tip anyone. It’s mostly included in the bill so I see no need to add anything more. Once after giving a lecture to a group of Americans a couple left me ten franc tips. I had to politely explain that I didn’t accept tips.

There are exceptions. The young lady who cuts my hair gets one, but if ever she is absent and the owner does the job he doesn’t get one. Never tip bosses.

Frankly if anyone insists on a tip he doesn’t merit one.

No comments:

Post a Comment